Thursday, March 09, 2006

where have I been?

Hello everyone, it's been sometime since I've opined, so I wanted to give a hello to everyone. I've been busy as heck with work, copywriting projects (hoping for paying ones soon), school and trying not to get sick. Haven't really been paying attention to the world this past week but I'm sure it's been crazy.

My grandmother turned 100 last weekend, pretty remarkable. She's funny because a few months back, a woman asked her for her age and she said 99. The woman responded with "you don't look a day over 80." My grandma, in her infinite wisdom, joked "I never thought looking 80 would be a complement." Quite a woman and a source of inspiration for me, no doubt.

But think about that, 100 years old. Teddy Roosevelt was president at the time. Women didn't have the right to vote. Streetcars, not automobiles, ruled the day in big cities. My grandmother has witnessed WW1, the Great Depression (and was raising a large family at the time) WW2, The Korean War, Vietnam, and both Gulf Wars. It's pretty astounding how lucid she is at her old age and I honestly think she's hit a point where she isn't aging anymore.

She's had to bury three of her children, plus her husband, so she's developed a thick skin through the years. She has always been a woman of faith, prays the rosary every night, and never cared much for doctors; she thought good nutrition and trust in God would take her further.

I'll post a picture of her once I find one on the computer; after all, she doesn't look a day over 80.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home