Friday, February 03, 2006

The Problem with Bono

Bono is at it again, trying to tell the US government to give more aid to poor nations. This man really gets a lot of attention when he speaks, and to a large extent, I don't mind hearing it. I think Bono is a sincere, non-partisan individual who is truly on a mission to help the poor of the world. He's been at this for many years and taken a lot of heat for his actions, even from his own bandmates. And if you've seen him befriending the ultra right wing Jesse Helms, you know the man isn't a typical celebrity hack.
The real issue I have with Bono is in the way he wants to bring about change. He tells the US, England and other "wealthy" nations to give to starving African countries and to eliminate their debt. He was an ardent supporter of Dubya's $15 billion initiative to fight AIDS in Africa. He always seems to think the solution to fighting the African AIDS epidemic is through more Western money, more relief to those poor nations.
I never hear Bono talking about reform in the African systems. Bono was one of the key performers at Live Aid in the 80s and the 20 year reunion last year. What I hear coming out of his mouth is a lot of grandiose statements but a failure to understand the corruption of African dictatorships.
The words I'd like to hear the man preach are "spread democracy in Africa." I've never heard that coming from Bono's mouth, he simply wants to pour money into the problem, rather than preaching total reform. Sounds strangely reminiscent of the public school epidemic in the US.
Having said that, I truly like Bono. Whereas many celebrities would blame Africas AIDS crisis (and it is a crisis) on the US, Bono is very kind in his words about Americans. He knows how wonderful we are and it's reassuing to hear a man of such high status not bash our country. And I find him to be fearless and sincere in his mission. He is a man of privilege and he's using his status to bring about change. I think it's a moral obligation for more fortunate people to help those that are less fortunate (without being forced by the government) and I feel Bono is doing this admirably. But I wish Bono would realize that the problems in Africa are far greater than just a shortage of money. I don't think his mission is complete futility but if he would preach democracy, I think he could bring about serious change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home