Saturday, March 11, 2006

Rest In Peace, Catherine Muller

As Joe noted, our younger grandmother passed away peacefully in Des Peres hospital on Friday, the 10th. She was 85, not 87 (get YOUR facts straight Joe). I will try to find a picture of her and post it ASAP.

Grandma was always good to me. As a child, I remember spending the night over there and she'd always make carmel popcorn. She was always there for holidays, birthdays, everything. I remember a time about two years ago, my parents were out of town and as a treat, my grandparents took me out to dinner cause they knew I was home by myself. It's little moments in life that become bigger as you grow older, and people pass on.

This is the 3rd "oldtimer" to pass away on my dads side of the family to pass away in the past three years. 2 years old, it was my great uncle Hank, who I got to know when I did housework for him. Always had weight problems but was lucid till the day he died. He was 83.

Last year, it was great aunt Aurelia. Poor woman, she had dimentia and was pretty much out of it for the last few years of her life. She was my grandmas sister and was 90 at the time of her passing.

Now it's grandmas turn. It's weird because as a child, I got so used to seeing all these people at family functions, get togethers; they were all mainstays in our life. One by one, they continue to pass away. As they die, you realize they had an impact on your life, even if you didn't realize it as a child.

I'm fortunate in the fact that on each side of the family, I have cousins, aunts, cousin in laws that I'm close with. It doesn't mean I see them everyday, or even every week. But I do enjoy their presence thoroughly and appreciate the fact that I have relatives that are not only good people, but they are good friends of mine. Most people are not born with such a wonderful family and I'm thankful that I was born into such a family, someone above has been looking out for me.

I will miss grandma but am glad that she longer has to suffer from an ailing heart. But I am happy for the relationship I had with her and have nothing but good things to say about her. I hope my grandpa is able to stay strong after this. He's 85 but still healthy and hope he stays with us for many years to come.

1 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Blogger KennewickMusing said...

God Bless you, and all your family, Mike. Beautiful tribute piece.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home