Monday, January 16, 2006

Happy MLK day

Happy MLK day (as the title suggests). I don't have anything novel to say about this great man other than we should all take his message to heart and try to live up to the ideals of this country. Whatever that means to you, great. I think I have espoused mine and don't feel the need to beat one about the face and neck with them. I will say that "Reason" magazine (a mag of which I am pretty much a big fan) makes an oblique comparison between Al Qaeda and MLK.
www.reason.com/hitandrun/2006/01/happy_martin_lu.shtml#012269

Have we lost all nuanced thinking that we cannot make distinction between proper govt. surveillance an improper? Is all surveillance inherently improper? Some would say yes. Monitoring and harassing King was asinine, to do so to the Black Panthers or the Aryan Youth, not as asinine. I would love to call myself a libertarian, but I cannot defend total absolutes in a world defined by grays. I don't know where that leaves me, as far as labeling goes. I guess I'm left with being a Constitutional 19th cent. Classical Liberal. Not very catchy.
Just remember, even though King was right to use his tactics in the US, where he knew that people's good will and decency would win out, he wasn't right to think that the same tactics of love and non-violence would do anything in Vietnam. He isn't infallible, but the right man at the right time. Pacifism is the easiest and most simplistic way to be self-righteous. Well, I've prattled enough, especially considering I just wanted to remember one of America's great men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home