Thursday, May 25, 2006

dixie chicks

I'm a fan of country music (thought not more than rock), but I have always thought that the Dixie Chicks sucked and were musical posers. It's only in the context of Nashville that they looked authentically country. However, all that being said, they have been given a course in marketing, i.e. don't piss off your fanbase, and I find it hilarious.

I hate to say it, but this is a classic case of life imitating art. In "This is Spinal Tap" when David St. Hubbins is asked to comment upon the smaller venues and dwindling fan base that great his band, he responds: (not verbatim)

"I wouldn't say we have less fans but that our fans are getting more selective."

As always, it's not that the artist is an idiot or has lost their mojo, but that only a select, initiated few can understand their genius.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home