Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Immigration

Although I was a bit underwhelmed by Bush's speech, I do think it is a step in the right direction that we are even debating it in Congress. It appears we are having a wall built after all, which is a good thing. I'm very leery of the amnesty by another name and the guest worker program. The heritage foundation study (sorry, no link) that says that the immigration proposal proffered by Hegel and Martinez would allow over 200 million (yeah, you read right) immigrants into the country the next 20 years seems like cultural and political suicide. I think the house is headed in a better direction for they are stressing enforcement first. We'll see where this all leads. I pray that it isn't just political window dressing and posturing (which, btw, the 6,000 troops is-Dick Durbin's comment that we would need 150,000 is equally stupid and patently impossible). I hope that real solutions are being debated. We have no alternative. American culture isn't indestructible, even if it sometimes feel that way. I welcome immigrants, but not at such great numbers that we become overwhelmed and, having authored our own destruction, we, as a people, cease to exist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home