Friday, July 14, 2006

Israel and Lebanon

I must admit that it is with a deep sense of foreboding which I watch the events unfold between Israel and Lebanon. I, along with many other democracy loving people around the world, cheered the Cedar Revolution and the potential liberalizing of this down-trodden, yet once vibrant country. I hope that the Lebanese understand that the crushing of Hezballah is in the best interest of their country as well as Israel's. It seems that almost the entire Middle East, san Syria and Iran, understand this. I hope that this does not descend into a conflagration that consumes the region and its unfortunate inhabitants. I pray for peace, but understand that killing is sometimes necessary to bring this about.
Lebanon needs to assert control over its own country and kick out Hezballah which is destabalizing it to further Syria and Iran's objectives. I wish them luck.
Israel needs to rid themselves of this menace once and for all. Whether this means destroying them or finding a diplomatic way to cripple them, I don't know. Israel cannot live with a dagger at its throat forever. I pray that one day this beleaguered country will find the peace and security which is the right of every country, and for the entire region which has known pain, bloodshed and hate with no alternative for far too long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home